“I help companies grow their businesses through franchising.”
Experienced in all facets of franchise law, Matt Kreutzer assists both startup and mature franchisors with developing, protecting, and licensing their franchise and distribution systems. As part of this practice, he counsels companies regarding the laws and regulations pertaining to franchising nationwide, and assists them in creating their contracts, Franchise Disclosure Documents, and other critical operational documents. He also responds to state administrative inquires and investigations, and obtains exemptions and interpretive opinions from regulatory agencies. With his background in franchise litigation, Matt understands the risks inherent in the relationship and works with his clients to limit those risks allowing those franchisors to focus on brand and system growth.
Matt is certified by the California State Bar's Board of Legal Specialization as a Franchise and Distribution Law Specialist in Franchise and Distribution Law.
Matt also helps potential franchise buyers understand contracts before signing on the dotted line. If franchise disputes cannot be avoided, Matt assists them in litigation or alternative dispute resolution.
Business & Corporate
Our business is business–your business. We offer vast experience in a full array of corporate legal services.
- The George Washington University Law School, 1998
- American University, 1995
- B.A., cum laude, Justice
- Golden Key National Honor Society
- Alpha Phi Sigma Criminal Justice Honor Society
- American Bar Association
- Franchise Forum
- International Franchise Association
- State Bar of California
- Franchise Law Committee
- California State Board of Legal Specialization
- Franchise and Distribution Law Advisory Commission
- Chair, 2017-2018
- Commissioner, 2015-2018
- Franchise and Distribution Law Advisory Commission
- Nevada, 2004
- California, 2005
- Maryland, 1998
- Author, Nevada Chapter, "Covenants Against Competition in Franchising Agreements, Fourth Edition."
- Franchise Times, "Legal Eagle," 2013-2022
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 2017-2022
- California State Bar Board of Legal Specialization, Franchise and Distribution Law Certified Specialist
- Who's Who Legal: Franchise, 2017-2022
- Mountain States Super Lawyers, 2013-2022
- Franchising and Distribution
- Top 100 Mountain States Super Lawyers, 2016 & 2022
- Mountain States Super Lawyers, "Rising Stars," 2012
- Nevada Business Magazine, "Legal Elite," 2014-2018
- 1851 Franchise, "Top Franchise Legal Player," 2018-2019
- Distinguished Men & Women in Nevada, 2015
- Desert Companion, "Top Lawyers," 2014
- In Business Las Vegas, "40 Under 40," 2010
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating
- Perfect 10.0 "Superb" Rating from Avvo®
- "California." Franchise Desk Book: Selected State Laws, Commentary, and Annotations, ABA Forum on Franchising, Co-author, 3rd ed., 2019.
Lead negotiation and oversight for multimillion-dollar sale of majority interest in two companies, including drafting of contribution agreement, operating agreements, non-competition agreements, consulting agreement, assignment documents, and other corporate documentation and consents.Edit
- Represent franchisors in connection with state administrative inquiries regarding alleged franchise law violations. Edit
- As counsel to regional, national, and international franchise companies, we regularly prepare and update franchise disclosure documents and assist them in maintaining related state registrations. Edit
- Consult with franchisors to help them develop strategies for preparing financial performance representations. Edit
- Assist start-up and emerging franchise brands in preparing their franchise offering documents and in complying with their legal obligations. Edit
Negotiate and prepare agreements on behalf of franchisors, including franchise agreements, multi-unit development agreements, area representative agreements, confidentiality and non-compete agreements.Edit
- Review, analyze, and negotiate franchise agreements on behalf of prospective franchisees. Edit
- International Franchise Association, Legal Symposium, "Why Is the State Examiner Making Me Change That Disclosure? Dealing with the Unusual, Uncommon, or Atypical Comments That State Examiners Raise,” May 6-7, 2019, Washington, D.C.
- Live and Invest Overseas, "Do You Want Fries With That? Buying a Franchise Overseas," November, 2018, Las Vegas, NV.
- National Franchise and Business Opportunities Expo, "Franchising 101: Practical Considerations for the Franchise Relationship," October, 2018, Las Vegas, NV.
- FranServe, "Franchise Broker Training," monthly, 2012-present, Las Vegas, NV.
- CORE Counselor's Seminar, "Creating a Franchise! Is It the Right Model to Grow Your Business?" April 30, 2016, Las Vegas, NV.
- State Bar of Nevada, Intellectual Property Law Conference, "Franchise Law," November 14, 2014, Las Vegas, NV.
- International Franchise Association, Legal Symposium, "The Registration Process for Offering and Selling Franchises," May 15, 2011, Washington, D.C.
- State Bar of California, Annual Meeting, "An Introduction to Franchising," September 23, 2010, Monterey, CA.
- State Bar of California, Business Law Section, "The Essentials of Franchise Law," February 10, 2010, webinar.