“I am an attorney, arbitrator, and mediator who helps business owners find solutions to their disputes.”
For over 25 years, Jim has represented business owners in litigation and transactional matters. He also serves as a neutral arbitrator and mediator to aid in business dispute resolution.
As a litigator, Jim has represented numerous clients through all phases of litigation, from the initial stage of the complaint through discovery, motions, bench and jury trials, and appeals, including arguments before the Nevada Supreme Court that resulted in three reported cases. His experience spans a wide variety of matters such as attorney malpractice, aviation, banking, breach of contract, collections, class actions, construction, gaming, employment matters, franchising, fraud, injunctive relief, leases, real estate, patent infringement, trademark enforcement, shareholder disputes, taxpayer created redevelopment districts, and writs of mandamus and prohibition.
Jim also serves as a neutral arbitrator and mediator. He is currently a Nevada Supreme Court Settlement Judge, a United States District Court appointed mediator, and a private mediator and arbitrator. He has been an arbitrator and mediator for the State Bar of Nevada Fee Dispute Committee since 2006 and an arbitrator for Nevada's Court Annexed Arbitration Program since 2008.
Additionally, Jim helps business owners with transactional matters. He represents and advises them in the creation, acquisition, and disposition of entities and real estate; and assists with forming entities, drafting entity ownership agreements, real estate documents, leases, and other contracts.
- Villanova University, Charles Widger School of Law, 1995
- Guilford College, 1988
- Rotary Club of Las Vegas
- Main Club, 1996-present
- Nevada, 1995
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 1995
- U.S. District Court, District of Nevada, 1995
- U.S. Tax Court, 1995
- Mountain States Super Lawyers, 2012-2019
- Nevada Business Magazine, "Legal Elite," 2016
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating
- Represented a credit union where the Nevada Supreme Court ruled as a matter of first impression, and in our client’s favor, that individual class members are not permitted to aggregate their claims to satisfy the minimum jurisdictional limits of Nevada's district courts.
- Nevada Association of Corporate Counsel, "Solutions to Problems You Didn't Know You Had: Your Non-Compliant Social Media Policy, Day One of a Customer's Bankruptcy, and Making Sure Your Cloud Doesn't Go Up in Smoke," March 25, 2014, Las Vegas, NV.
- Howard & Howard/RSM, "Anticipating and Solving Deal Issues, I Was Told There Wouldn't Be Any Math: A Discussion of Best Practices to Avoid Post-closing Disputes," November 28, 2018, Las Vegas, NV.
“I support Rotary and Cristo Rey because I believe it is important to provide our youth with a quality education.”
Jim has been a member of the Las Vegas Rotary Club since 1996. His Rotary service includes serving as president of the Las Vegas Rotary Club during the 2018-2019 Rotary year; a member of the board of directors, president, treasurer, and secretary of the Las Vegas Rotary 25 Club; and as the chairman of the Rotary Youth Leadership Award Committee. Jim was also a member of the exploratory board for the Cristo Rey St. Viator Las Vegas College Preparatory High School from 2016-2018 and a member of the initial board of trustees starting in 2018. Howard & Howard proudly supports the Cristo Rey network of high schools by hiring Cristo Rey students in the Detroit, Chicago, and Las Vegas offices.