We bring a multidisciplinary approach to meet our gaming clients’ legal and business needs.
Gaming is more of a universe than an industry, with players that include sports books, lotteries, gaming affiliates and service providers, payment processors, Native American casino operators, hospitality developers, equipment manufacturers, trade associations, and standard-setting organizations.
Howard & Howard’s Gaming Group has over 25 years' of experience guiding gaming’s most prominent players through an extensive range of multijurisdictional corporate and regulatory matters, such as:
- Licensing and regulatory compliance
- Corporate law and business transactions
- Privacy and data collection
- Emerging technologies
- AML and antitrust compliance
- Commercial litigation
- Mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, and joint ventures
- Land use, zoning, and municipal law
- Patents, trademarks, and copyrights
Our gaming lawyers deliver crucial insights into the corporate structures and licensure required for transactions in this highly regulated industry. For new ventures and participants, we assist with entity selection, structuring, and subsequent corporate governance planning.
Financing a hospitality or gaming venture presents unique challenges. Howard & Howard has represented parties on all sides in secured and unsecured loans, public offerings, and private placement of debt securities. We also work with active and institutional investors in public and private equity offerings.
The proliferation of gaming technologies has increased the demand for intellectual property protections. Clients rely on us to address their patent, copyright, trademark, and trade dress needs, including prosecution, registration, licensing, and enforcement in the U.S. and around the world. We also advise on confidentiality, trade secret, and co-development agreements, as well as advertising, e-commerce, and EDI matters.
Having represented the Gaming Standards Association for well over a decade, we understand that strict regulations and administrative procedures make it difficult for many entities to enter and operate in the gaming space. As such, our attorneys assist clients with:
- Privileged gaming licenses and regulatory compliance for operators, manufacturers, affiliates, and investors
- Business licenses for casinos, hotels, nightclubs, restaurants, and bars
- Contests, promotions, and sweepstakes
- Applications, investigations, and disciplinary proceedings before the Federal Trade Commission, National Indian Gaming Commission, state and tribal agencies, and local gaming control boards
Given the size and scope of the industry, litigation can sometimes be an unavoidable occurrence. We help clients prevent and manage risk by utilizing negotiation and alternative dispute resolution methods whenever feasible. If necessary, we pursue clients’ rights in state and federal courts, always balancing each client’s specific interests against the time and expense of prolonged litigation.
As the business of gaming continues to expand, participants venture into new markets, venues, and technologies, both domestically and abroad. Our gaming group has counseled clients in nearly every gaming jurisdiction around the world. When industry players need sound advice and judgment to address opportunities and threats, they turn to Howard & Howard.