“I am an attorney who manages all phases of intellectual property.”
Mr. Bliss manages all phases of intellectual property, including patent, trademark, copyright, licensing, and litigation. He works with multinational corporations, consortiums, small businesses, and individuals. His experience spans a wide range of technology, including mechanical, electrical, chemical, materials, computer software, and business methods.
Mr. Bliss focuses on domestic and international patent and trademark rights, with experience managing a number of portfolios. He excels in patent and trademark management, protection and prosecution strategies, and opinions. Mr. Bliss also focuses on domestic and international copyright protection and enforcement. He has experience in all phases of licensing and contracts.
Additionally, Mr. Bliss is well-versed in all phases of intellectual property litigation, including case preparation, analysis, and execution, including federal court, USPTO inter partes reviews, oppositions, cancellations, and appeals.
He has served as an expert witness on patent law and patent office procedure on several occasions, including testifying at trial in connection with Sundance, Inc. and Merlot Tarpaulin & SideKit Mfg. Co., Inc. v. DeMonte Fabricating Ltd. and Quick Draw Tarpaulin Systems, Inc. and Walter DeMonte, Civil Action No. 02-73543, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan. Mr. Bliss has also appeared before the United States Patent and Trademark Office and other various federal courts throughout the U.S.
When ideas translate into products, processes, art, or authorship, we help clients protect their innovations and commercialize their work.
- Michigan State University Law School, 1987
- J.D., cum laude
- Michigan Technological University, 1983
- B.S., with high honors, Mechanical Engineering
- Michigan Intellectual Property Law Association, former President
- State Bar of Michigan
- Intellectual Property Law Section, former Chair
- Oakland County Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Michigan State College of Law Alumni Association, former President
Not licensed or admitted to practice law in the state of Nevada
- Michigan, 1987
- Supreme Court of the United States, 1991
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 1989
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit, 1988
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1987
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 1987
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 2016-2020
- Michigan Leading Lawyers, 2014-2019
- dbusiness, "Top Lawyers," 2016-2019
- Michigan Super Lawyers, 2007-2009; 2011-2012
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating
- "IP Law for Businesses: Protecting Yourself & Your Company Patenting for a Competitive Edge." ExecSense, Co-author, 2013.
Prepared and filed over 50 patent applications for an automotive OEM for an electronically controlled automatic transmission. One of these patent applications produced the patent that won invention of the year in 1990 by the Intellectual Property Organization.Edit
Managed a team of attorneys that prepared and filed over 50 patent applications for a hybrid vehicle for an automotive OEM. Under this leadership, the team obtained the disclosures from a contract supplier, drafted the patent applications, and filed them all on the same day.Edit
- The Seminar Group, "The Business of Marijuana in Nevada," July 18, 2018, Las Vegas, NV.