“I am an IP attorney focusing my practice on patent procurement, opinion work, and freedom-to-operate investigations.”
Dan focuses his practice on global patent procurement, opinion work, freedom-to-operate investigations, and global intellectual property portfolio management, primarily in the chemical, mechanical, and medical arts.
Prior to joining Howard & Howard, he gained over eight years of experience in industry. During this time, he worked as an international product development chemist at AkzoNobel Coatings developing coatings for automotive and consumer electronics markets. Dan also has extensive experience with thin film technology and thermoformable coatings. Prior to AkzoNobel, he worked at Magni Industries as an analytical chemist where he conducted failure analysis investigations of protective/corrosion resistant coatings.
- Wayne State University Law School, 2015
- Eastern Michigan University, 2010
- M.S., Polymer and Coating Technology
- Western Michigan University, 2005
- B.S., Chemistry
- Michigan Intellectual Property Association
- Michigan, 2015
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2016
- Ontario Rubber Group, Spring Meeting, "Increasing the Likelihood of Obtaining Patent Protection on Polymeric Formulations," April 16, 2019, Mississauga, ON, Canada.
- International Conference on Nanomaterials Science & Nanoengineering & Technology & International Conference and Exhibition on Pharmaceutical Nanotechnology and Nanomedicine, "The Never-Ending Internal Struggle–Do I Disclose My Invention And Attempt To Obtain A Patent Or Forgo A Patent And Keep It As A Trade Secret?" April 18, 2018, Las Vegas, NV.
- The Western Coating Society's 33rd Biennial Western Coatings Symposium, "Increasing the Likelihood of Obtaining Patent Protection on Coating Formulations," October 17, 2017, Las Vegas, NV.
- TechTown Detroit, "Intellectual Property: What Every Entrepreneur Should Know, Particularly Those Seeking To Secure Funding," June 29, 2017, Detroit, MI.
- Veteran Business Owners, "How to Protect your Business Idea, Brand, and Information with Patents, Trademarks, Trade Secrets, and Copyrights," webinar, June 14, 2016.
- The Cleveland Coating Society's Annual Sink or Swim Conference, "Increasing the Likelihood of Obtaining Patent Protection on Coating Formulations," June 7, 2016, Cleveland, OH.
- The Detroit Society for Coatings Technology, 41st Annual FOCUS Conference, "Increasing the Likelihood of Obtaining Patent Protection on Coating Formulations," May 5, 2016, Troy, MI.