“I build value through intellectual property.”
Trent obtains intellectual property rights for his clients in the U.S. and abroad, leads freedom-to-operate investigations for new products, conducts due diligence for technology-related transactions, and prepares opinions of non-infringement and invalidity.
Trent has worked on several technologies including surgical robotics, surgical navigation systems, EEG monitors, radio frequency ablation devices, bone cement delivery devices, drug delivery devices, surgical instrumentation, kinetic spray coatings, electronic pedal assemblies, automotive shifters, foodstuffs, LP gas systems, building products, and software.
Prior to entering the legal field, he was a consulting engineer at Triad Engineering and at Lawson-Fisher Associates, both in South Bend, Indiana.
- Michigan State University College of Law, 2004
- J.D., magna cum laude
- Michigan State University
- M.S., Environmental Engineering, 1997
- B.S., Civil Engineering, 1996
- Michigan Intellectual Property Law Association
- Michigan, 2004
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2010
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2005
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 2016-2019
- Troy Patent Law, "Lawyer of the Year," 2019
- Michigan Super Lawyers, "Rising Stars," 2010-2014
- Michigan State University College of Law
- Adjunct Professor, Patent Application Preparation Class
- "Extending Provisional Rights Beyond 35 U.S.C. §154(d)." Journal of the Patent and Trademark Office Society, Co-author, May 2005.
- Recipient of the 33rd Annual Dr. Joseph Rossman Memorial Award for article "that made the greatest contribution to the field of Patents, Trademarks and Copyrights," 2005.
- Mid-Michigan Innovation Center 1st Annual Patent Camp, "Patent Basics" and "Provisional Patent Application Preparation," September 12, 2014, Midland, MI.
- Howard & Howard Attorneys PLLC, "America Invents Act," October 11, 2011, Bloomfield Hills, MI.
- Thomas M. Cooley Law School, "Trade Dress and Design Law," March, 2010, Auburn Hills, MI.
- NOVUS, "Protecting Intellectual Property Through Patents," November 13, 2008, Peoria, IL.
- Bradley University, "A Macro View of IP for Business: Learn How to Find, Protect and Leverage Intellectual Property in Any Business," October 6, 2006, Peoria, IL.