“I help health care providers, agri-businesses, and community businesses on everyday to "bet the ranch" matters.”
A typical day for me ranges from advising healthcare systems on severance of professional relationships and responses to physician credentialing requests to representing major agri-lenders in central Illinois in multiple bankruptcy proceedings to helping a small liberal arts college secure its testamentary entitlement in will contest proceedings.
- Southern Methodist University, Dedman Law School, 1980
- Knox College, 1977
- B.A., cum laude
- American Bar Association
- Peoria County Bar Association
- Board of Directors, 1992-1993; 1998-2001; 2011-present
- President, 2003-2004
- Illinois Bar Foundation
- Board of Directors, 2006-2007
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Delivery of Legal Services, 2004-2006
- Special Illinois Supreme Court Committee
- Pro Bono Publico Legal Service, 2001-2005
- Special Assistant Attorney General for the State of Illinois for Agricultural Affairs, 1984-1986
- Illinois, 1980
- Illinois Leading Lawyers, 2013-2019
- Illinois Super Lawyers, 2008-2018
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating
Represented a publicly traded energy company in Illinois federal courts. Our client recovered in excess of $3MM including attorney's fees after a motion for summary judgment and appellate review.
Successfully defended a Uniform Fraudulent Transfer Act claim in an Illinois bankruptcy court. The amount sought by the bankruptcy trustee exceeded $1MM. Our client prevailed in the trial court and the matter settled in a Seventh Circuit mediation for less than three percent of the original recovery sought by the trustee.
Representation of regional healthcare facility in securing a $30MM credit raise for a building expansion.
“Only lawyers can speak for others in court. Democracy demands that we speak for the least powerful among us.”
Since the state of Illinois first permitted me to be a lawyer, I've been privileged to represent the people of the state of Illinois, state and local bar associations, and charitable organizations dedicated to giving voice to those not blessed with the financial means to be heard. Among the finest lawyers I've ever met are those who've worked pro bono publico. I aspire to follow their example in the work I do for all Howard & Howard clients.