“I am a business lawyer who takes pride in understadning my clients' specific business operations and strategic needs.”
Mr. Wittebort represents a number of corporate entities including automotive suppliers, manufacturers, transportation and logistics providers, and is familiar with various organizational and structural issues, including supply agreements, terms and conditions, and various applicable UCC issues. Mr. Wittebort also acts as virtual in-house counsel for a number of clients and has experience representing private equity in various forms of mergers and acquisitions. He represents privately and publicly held companies and municipalities in various facets of acquisition, disposition, development, and leasing of real property, as well as advising on various governmental incentives. Mr. Wittebort has particular experience in representing both downtown development authorities and developers in downtown redevelopment projects involving tax increment financing and other similar types of tax incentives.
In 2008, Mr. Wittebort was appointed by former Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm as a member of the Financial Review Team formed to oversee and assist the city of Pontiac, Michigan with its financial deficit problems. Since, he has often been requested to advise on similar issues involving Michigan's Emergency Manager Law for governmental entities.
He has appeared in numerous publications and radio and television news programs regarding Michigan's Emergency Manager Law and the city of Detroit bankruptcy and reorganization efforts.
- Wayne State University Law School, 1988
- Wayne Law Review, Assistant Editor
- Western Michigan University, 1985
- Pontiac Neighborhood Revitalization Corporation, Board of Directors
- Oakland Health Plan Corporation, Board of Directors
- Oakland County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- International Conference of Shopping Centers
- Building Owners and Managers Association
- Transportation Lawyer's Association
- Michigan, 1988
- Michigan Super Lawyers, 2008-2019
- Michigan Leading Lawyers, 2015-2019
- dbusiness, "Top Lawyers," 2010; 2013; 2016-2017
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating
- Various awards for assisting Oakland County Mainstreet Communities
- Boys & Girls Club of Pontiac
- Three-term President, Board of Directors
Frequent counsel to a large private equity company assisting with pre- and post-closing legal infrastructure analysis and operational transition with transaction values varying from $50MM to $1.5B.Edit
- Lead counsel to municipality in the offering and sale of a former NFL stadium and concert venue. Services included preparation of RFP and analysis of responses and proposals, coordinating proposal review process, and negotiating deal terms. Edit
Assisted in the purchase of a NBA franchise valued at over $400MM, including review of real estate issues, organizational structure, financing, and interfacing with local government.Edit
- Lead counsel for the privatization and sale of a municipally owned hospital and health care operation, including organizing and participating in excess of 40 public town hall meetings, structuring of privatization, preparing documents, and coordinating with municipal bond counsel and investment bankers. Edit
- The MDA Legislative Advocacy Day & Workshop, "Advocacy Spending," March 8, 2017, Lansing, MI.
Mr. Wittebort is active in multiple community and charitable organizations, including the Pontiac Neighborhood Revitalization Corporation and the Oakland County Mainstreet Advisory Committee. He also serves as the chairman of the Howard & Howard Community Reinvestment Fund; an employee-funded, donor-advised trust that has donated over $5 million to various charitable organizations since its inception in 1985. Mr. Wittebort has been active in coaching youth sports including lacrosse, baseball, softball, basketball, and football.