“I counsel individuals, families, and business owners on estate planning, asset protection, and business succession.”
Ryan is a well-known and accomplished trusts and estates attorney, focused on providing sensible, customized planning to meet the unique needs and personal goals of his diverse clients. From entrepreneurs and business owners to individuals and families, Ryan leverages his experience to implement thoughtful strategies related to estate planning (simple to complex), asset transfer, wealth preservation, dynastic trust planning, charitable giving, business succession, and asset protection. He also advises clients on estate and trust administration, guardianship, and related litigation.
By leading with education and through collaboration with his clients and their trusted advisors, Ryan ensures that his clients make informed decisions to maintain control over their wishes and affairs, and above all, make appropriate arrangements for their loved ones, assets, and business interests. Ryan believes that estate planning is one of the most important practice areas in the legal field.
Ryan routinely advises various clients and fiduciaries including trustees, executors, agents, banks, and other individuals and businesses relating to estate and trust affairs on the following matters:
- Preparing all types of estate planning documents including revocable (living) trusts, wills, powers of attorney, HIPAA authorizations, and related documents
- Drafting sophisticated trust instruments with multigenerational planning, charitable initiatives, life insurance, asset protection, and tax savings strategies
- Planning for closely held businesses, real estate portfolios, and family entities to ensure controlled and efficient management and succession
- Estate administration related to adult guardianship, minor guardianship, and decedent estates
- Trust administration including accountings, inventories, management, asset marshalling, and required reporting tasks
Prior to joining Howard & Howard, Ryan led a successful estate planning and administration practice for a well-known Chicago law firm.
- DePaul University College of Law, 2014
- J.D., cum laude
- Michigan State University, 2008
- B.A., Psychology
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Illinois, 2015
- Avvo Clients' Choice Award, 2017-present
“Donating my time and efforts toward bettering my community is of the utmost importance to me and my family.”
In addition to working as a pro bono attorney for various organizations serving the underprivileged, Ryan serves as a board member of III Gentlemen, a Chicago-based nonprofit that helps Chicago youth of all ages, nationalities, and demographics to live a passionate life with honor, integrity, and character. He is an ambassador for Kicks 4 the City, a nonprofit organization that helps provide resources to various homeless populations across the country, including homeless students in the Chicago Public School system. Ryan is also an active member in the Chicago Leadership Alliance, a community of empowered and socially responsible leaders that drive meaningful action and progress in Chicago to build a better city.