“I enjoy immersing myself in a client's business and technology, and providing a foundation for their success.”
Mr. Engel concentrates his practice in intellectual property law with a focus on obtaining and enforcing patents and trademarks, with a particular emphasis on patent preparation, prosecution, and opinion work.
He represents a wide array of clients from startups to multinational corporations in the automotive, building, chemical, medical, software, and manufacturing industries. Mr. Engel also counsels clients on intellectual property portfolio management and development, both domestically and internationally.
Prior to joining Howard & Howard, Mr. Engel gained over 10 years of experience in the automotive and chemical industries. While in industry, he worked as a project leader at National Starch & Chemical where he provided technical solutions and moved new adhesive technologies to market. He also worked at Sika Corporation for several years holding numerous positions, such as chemist, research scientist, and production manager, where he developed and manufactured acoustic and structural materials and products for automotive, industrial, building, and construction markets.
Mr. Engel joined Howard & Howard in 2008 as a full-time intern in its intellectual property law internship program while attending law school in the evenings.
- Thomas M. Cooley Law School, 2012
- J.D., cum laude, Intellectual Property
- University of Detroit Mercy, 2000
- M.S., Economics, Chemistry (MSEC Program)
- Michigan State University, 1996
- B.S., Chemistry
- American Chemical Society
- Michigan Intellectual Property Law Association
- Michigan, 2012
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2013
- Michigan Super Lawyers, "Rising Stars," 2015-2018; 2020-2021
- Ontario Rubber Group, Spring Meeting, "Increasing the Likelihood of Obtaining Patent Protection on Polymeric Formulations," April 16, 2019, Mississauga, ON, Canada.
- ACS Detroit Rubber Group, Fall Technical and Lunch Meeting, "Freedom to Operate," November 8, 2017, Novi, MI.
- ACS Detroit Rubber Group, Fall Technical and Lunch Meeting, "Trade Secret vs. Patent—In the Polymer Industry," November 19, 2015, Royal Oak, MI.
- ACS Detroit Rubber Group, Annual Meeting, "AIA for Researchers in Industry," October 15, 2013, Dearborn, MI.
“People matter, which is why I support organizations such as Friends of Foster Kids and Cristo Rey High School.”
I am a member of the Holy Family Regional School Board and serve as the Holy Family Regional School Facilities Board chairman. I am also a member of the St. Andrews Parish Finance Council.