“As a transactional attorney, I assist clients in closing transactions, from the everyday to the once-in-a-lifetime.”
Ms. Burkland concentrates her practice on corporate and commercial transactions, with extensive experience negotiating and interpreting a full range of contracts that govern her clients and their businesses. She advises parties in the buying, selling, leasing, and licensing of goods; distributor and sales representative agreements; terms and conditions of sale and purchase for vendors and buyers; and joint venture and contract manufacturing agreements. Ms. Burkland has significant experience in financial transactions, including secured and nonrecourse loans, leveraged lease transactions, sales and lease-backs, and other credit arrangements. She advises businesses in their formative stages and in a variety of corporate matters, including stockholder agreements and general corporate maintenance. In addition to the ordinary course of business matters, she represents buyers and sellers in significant corporate acquisitions and sales. Miriam also serves as the firm's Business & Corporate Practice Group Vice-chair.
Business & Corporate
Our business is business–your business. We offer vast experience in a full array of corporate legal services.
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Law, 1981
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1978
- B.A., cum laude
- Chicago Bar Association
- Commercial Finance and Transactions Committee
- Illinois, 1981
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin and Chicago Lawyer, "Top 50 Women in Law," 2021
- Illinois Leading Lawyers, 2010-2021
- Illinois Super Lawyers, 2005-2007; 2011
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating
- "Shareholders’ Agreements." Illinois Business Law: Choice of Entity, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, Co-Author, 2020 Ed., 5-1—5-74.
Represent international contract manufacturer in negotiating a $35MM credit facility comprised of revolving line of credit and mortgage loans, from one of the largest commercial banks in the United States.Edit
- Represent food ingredient manufacturer owned by descendants of the founders in general legal matters including negotiating and interpreting business contracts, managing stockholder relationships, maintaining best governance practices, and advising exit strategies. Edit
- Represent manager of multiple Delaware statutory trusts that purchase state of Illinois accounts receivables and the related payment penalties. Edit
- Represented seller of software company to a portfolio company of leading private equity firm. Edit
Lead negotiation and oversight for multimillion-dollar sale of majority interest in two companies, including drafting of contribution agreement, operating agreements, non-competition agreements, consulting agreement, assignment documents, and other corporate documentation and consents.Edit
- Represented purchaser of medical laboratory, expanding purchaser's national network of lab facilities. Edit
- Led sale of niche textbook publisher to international publishing house. Edit
- Led sale of division of family owned manufacturing company to subsidiary of international agribusiness. Edit
- Illinois State Bar Association, 9th Annual Solo Small Firm Conference, "Advising Your Client on Selection of Business Entity," October 5, 2013, Itasca, IL.