“I am an accomplished attorney who focuses on representing entrepreneurs in all areas of trust and business planning.”
Mike is the firm’s Trust and Estate Planning Practice Group chair. His extensive experience in this area takes estate planning to a sophisticated level by integrating business and corporate planning with trust and tax strategies. Mike’s strategies focus on wealth transfer, asset protection, business succession, life insurance, multigenerational trust and tax planning, and charitable giving. Using his diverse skill set, Mike assists entrepreneurs in building the proper foundation to grow, protect, and transfer wealth and business interests.
In addition to chairing the Estate Planning Practice Group, Mike’s comprehensive work includes corporate and business formation and organizational matters, involving capital structure, corporate governance, buy-sell and exit transactions, and asset protection strategies. He is known for developing creative solutions to complex corporate, business, tax, and trust matters.
Mike regularly represents entrepreneurs and business entities in the following matters:
- Revocable and irrevocable trust planning;
- Corporate organization planning;
- Business succession planning and transactions for family owned and privately held businesses;
- Equity- and contract-based shareholder, partnership, and joint venture transactions;
- Deferred compensation and equity arrangements in connection with business succession and management continuity planning;
- Creditor protection and domestic asset protection trust strategies;
- All manners of contract negotiation and drafting; and
- Dispute resolution and management of litigation processes and outcomes.
In 1991, Mike established Michael J. Beals, PC, and in 1999 co-founded Beals Hubbard, PLC.
- Detroit College of Law, 1986
- J.D., cum laude
- Michigan State University, 1983
- Michigan, 1986
- Michigan Leading Lawyers, 2014-2020
- dbusiness, "Top Lawyers," 2014, 2020
- Thomas M. Cooley Law School
- Business Planning Elective, Adjunct Professor