“I am an attorney who advises clients on employment-related matters, with an emphasis on restrictive covenants.”
Mike advises business clients with respect to issues regarding post-employment restrictions, including non-competes, non-solicits, and trade secrets, both in the context of hiring employees and the departure of employees. When these employee transitions result in litigation, Mike represents clients in court and in arbitration in connection with injunctive relief and damages.
Additionally, Mike regularly arbitrates claims involving disputes in the financial services industry at FINRA.
Mike also advises clients more generally on employment-related matters.
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Law, 1981
- J.D., magna cum laude
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1978
- B.A., Political Science, Economics
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Civil Litigation and Employment Litigation Law Sections
- American Bar Association
- Litigation, Labor and Employment, and Business Law Sections
- Illinois, 1981
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois, 2001
- Supreme Court of the United States, 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit, 1991
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- Trial Bar, 1991
- General Bar, 1981
- Illinois Leading Lawyers, 2007-2019
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating
- Representation of a financial services firm in multiple FINRA arbitrations resulting in awards in favor of the financial services firm.
- Successfully negotiated a number of settlements of outstanding loan balances on behalf of a financial services firm, resulting in the payment of millions of dollars on the loans.
- Successfully advised a financial services firm in connection with the hiring of various financial advisors to avoid litigation over violations of non-solicitation and trade secret provisions.
- Representation of a medical practice regarding employment related issues, including the hiring and termination of employees and independent contractors.
Successfully represented a school administrator in breach of contract trial resulting in an award of $670,000 to the administrator.
- Association of Licensed Architects, "Non-Competes, Non-Solicits, Confidentiality Agreements," February 12, 2015, Oak Brook, IL.
- Association of Licensed Architects, "Recruiting Dos and Don'ts-Issues When Competitors Are Involved," April 10, 2014, Oak Brook, IL.
- Association of Licensed Architects, "Employment Issues-Recent Developments; New Problems," June 11, 2013, Oak Brook, IL.
- Association of Licensed Architects, "Employment Law Update: Trends and Hot Issues," May 1, 2012, Oak Brook, IL.
- Editor and contributor to Howard & Howard's Non-Compete & Trade Secrets Law Blog