“I am a litigator who draws on my experiences clerking for multiple federal court judges to advocate for my clients.”
Jonathan represents clients in commercial, corporate, and business disputes in federal and state courts and in arbitrations throughout the country. He represents clients in all stages of litigation, including pre-suit, trial court, and appeal.
Prior to joining Howard & Howard, Jonathan worked as a judicial law clerk to multiple federal judges of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan. While in law school, he worked as a judicial intern for the Honorable Marianne O. Battani (2011). He subsequently worked as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Avern Cohn (2012-2014) and the Honorable George Caram Steeh (2014-2016). Jonathan draws on his firsthand experience working for multiple federal judges to zealously advocate for his clients' needs at every stage of litigation.
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, 2012
- J.D., summa cum laude
- UDM Law Review, Managing Editor, 2011-2012
- State Bar of Michigan
- Taxation Section, Tax Student Writing Award, 2012
- Dean’s Honor Society, 2010-2012
- Dean’s Tutorial Society and Scholarship, 2011-2012
- J. Lewis Dean’s Scholarship, 2010-2012
- Ernie Goodman Mock Trial Competition
- Best Trial Notebook, Runner-up, 2011
- Patrick A. Keenan Appellate Advocacy Tournament
- Finalist and Best Brief Award, 2011
- Order of Barristers Inductee
- Outstanding achievements in oral advocacy and brief writing
- Frank Murphy Honor Society Inductee
- Academic achievements and contributions to the law school
- Book Awards (for highest grade in course): Civil Procedure; Applied Legal Theory and Analysis; Advanced Advocacy; Professional Responsibility; Evidence; Federal Jurisdiction; Toxic Torts Law Firm Program; Professional Responsibility Seminar
- Wayne State University, 2008
- Chaldean American Bar Association
- Secretary, 2014-2015
- Director, 2013-2014
- Chaldean American Chamber of Commerce
- Civil Liberty Advocates
- Federal Bar Association
- Eastern District of Michigan
- RISE Committee, Member
- Diversity Committee, Co-chair, 2013-2015
- Eastern District of Michigan
- Michigan, 2012
- Supreme Court of the United States, 2018
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 2018
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, 2016
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2013
- dbusiness, "Top Lawyers," 2017-2018
Obtained a judgment in favor of PCT Brands, LLC for approximately $500,000 in a breach of contract action under the Michigan UCC, which was affirmed by the Michigan Court of Appeals. PCT Brands, LLC v. Digital Gadgets, LLC, No. 342481, 2019 WL 2146307 (Mich. Ct. App., May 16, 2019).
Obtained dismissal for failure to state a claim and later summary judgment for an automotive supplier client accused by a former independent contractor of unlawfully terminating his independent contractor agreement. Al-Kahwati Engineering, Inc. v. AGC Flat Glass North America, Inc., No. 2:16-CV-10759, 2016 WL 9403759 (E.D. Mich. July 26, 2016); Al-Kahwati Engineering, Inc. v. AGC Flat Glass North America, Inc., No. 2:16-CV-10759, 2017 WL 4005912 (E.D. Mich. Sept. 12, 2017).
- Successfully defended an electric component designer and manufacturer against the plaintiff's request for enhanced damages and attorney's fees on from the Supreme Court of the United States, resulting in district court's denial of enhanced damages and attorney's fees in favor of our client. Halo Electronics, Inc. v. Pulse Electronics, Inc., 281 F. Supp. 3d 1087 (D. Nev. 2017).
Obtained a summary judgment for claims against police officers and municipality alleging excessive force and constitutional violations. Hemphill v. City of Taylor, No. 14-14958, 2017 WL 9471690 (E.D. Mich. May 9, 2017); Hemphill v. City of Taylor, No. 14-14958, 2017 WL 3613969 (E.D. Mich. Aug. 23, 2017).
- Obtained dismissal of claim alleging abuse of process against our client by successfully arguing that claimant had failed to state a claim upon which relief could be granted. Sherman v. Ritter, No. 17-10433, 2017 WL 3007077 (E.D. Mich. July 14, 2017).
- Obtained judgment after a bench trial for breach of contract and unjust enrichment, and then dismissal of the defendant's subsequent appeal. (44th District Court, Oakland County Circuit Court, 2017).