“I am attorney who puts his clients' interests first, whether in my litigation, prosecution, or transactional practices.”
Jeff is a fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers and a leading authority on many different patent, trademark, and copyright law issues. He is well versed in joint venture agreements, particularly for computer law activities, protection of computer software and related activities, restrictive covenants in employment agreements, and configuration trademark registrations. He has negotiated and documented numerous licenses on behalf of licensors and licensees for patents, trademarks, copyrights, and other intellectual property.
Jeff has obtained patents for clients in a variety of areas, both hi-tech and low-tech, including business method patents, computer software related patents, vacuum cleaners, luggage racks and other automotive-related products, computer-related manufacturing systems, regrinding, medical appliances, environmental apparatuses, clutches and brakes, robotic systems, carburetors, flying tube cutoff machines and die sets, home appliances and parts, conveyor systems and machines, welding appliances, deburring equipment, computerized machine tools, dental appliances, injectors for veterinary drugs, building supplies, various manufacturing processes and control systems, etc.
- University of Michigan Law School, 1977
- University of Michigan, 1974
- B.S., magna cum laude, Mechanical Engineering
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- Federal Bar Association
- Eastern District of Michigan, Board Member
- Michigan State Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Oakland County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Litigation; Patent; Trademark; Copyright Sections
- State Bar of Michigan
- Computer Law Section
- Michigan Patent Law Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Federal Practice and Procedures Committee
- International Trademark Association
- Emerging Issues Committee
- Michigan IP Inn of Court, former President
- Michigan, 1977
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1978
- More than 30 U.S. District Courts
- dbusiness, "Top Lawyers," 2010-2014; 2016-2019
- Michigan Leading Lawyers, 2014-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 2011-2019
- Troy Litigation and Patent Law, "Lawyer of the Year," 2016
- Detroit Patent Law, "Lawyer of the Year," 2015
- Michigan Super Lawyers, 2006-2018
- Top 100 Michigan Lawyers, 2011-2013
- Top 50 Michigan Business Lawyers, 2013
- Managing IP, "IP Star," 2013-2017
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating
- 33rd Annual Dr. Joseph Rossman Memorial Award, 2005
- Co-author of article in the Journal of the Patent and Trademark Office Society that made the greatest contribution to the field of Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights
- Represented trademark OEM against supplier who used part numbers and references to OEM in sales activity. We settled the matter on favorable terms for our client.
Represented Tier I supplier against another competitor Tier I supplier in a patent infringement action. We successfully negotiated settlement during the trial.
- Represented automotive supplier for OEM and aftermarket. We won summary judgment on the patent infringement claim in 2017. The matter settled just before the trial on damages, for a favorable amount, and we successfully negotiated for our client to purchase the defendant for a lesser amount.
- Represented manufacturer in action against a competitor in United States for copyright infringement in Europe, which also appeared on website activities. We resolved the matter favorably for our client.
- Represented major OEM automotive vehicle manufacturers in anti-counterfeiting trademark and copyright activity over a period extending more than 20 years.
- Represented computer software service supplier in trade secret and copyright action against customer who copied copyrighted database created by our client under a confidentiality agreement.
“I am a supporter of a number of organizations and historical societies.”
- WGA, Evans Scholars Foundation, Director
- Supporter of: Judson Center, Misericordia, and Parade Company
- Historical Society for Eastern District of Michigan, Director
- Federal Bar Association, former Board Member