“I am a corporate tax attorney and advise my clients on federal and multistate tax matters.”
Gina's practice concentrates on the areas of strategic tax planning and dispute resolution for companies with global operations and multistate activities, including the IRS and various state taxing agencies. She works closely with clients to maximize global tax and economic incentives, as well as financial structures to facilitate corporate growth and relocation projects. These projects involve all aspects of credits and incentives including Opportunity Zone planning, Research Tax Credits, New Markets Tax Credits, Department of Energy ATVM loans, Historic Tax Credits, Energy Tax Credits, property tax abatements, and endless state and local tax and economic programs designed to attract and retain businesses and job growth. We've successfully secured over $1 billion in tax benefits for our clients. Gina manages a team of attorneys focused on corporate incentive projects across the country for both public and private companies that range from complex corporate structures to startups.
Her practice has attracted national attention for its creativity and results-oriented focus. We have obtained more than $1 billion in direct cash benefits for our clients in nearly every state, as well as many foreign jurisdictions, to secure economic and tax benefits in the form of significant cash grants, tax credits, and refunds. Our approach is successful due to our intentional collaboration between multiple disciplines of law, including finance, tax, real estate, intellectual property, employment, technology, and other fields of practice that match the stated goals of the project.
Gina also manages IRS and state tax examinations for both public and private companies, achieving phenomenal results for our clients. Our methodology on exam is strategic and focuses on a process that matches the client's situation along with decades of experience and relationships within the IRS, treasury, and many state taxing agencies.
- Detroit College of Law, 1993
- J.D., magna cum laude
- University of Michigan, 1989
- B.A., cum laude
- State Bar of Michigan
- International and Taxation Sections
- Michigan and Illinois Associations of CPAs, Non-CPA Member
- Michigan Chamber of Commerce
- Taxation Section, Board Member
- Chicago Finance Exchange
- International Women's Forum
- Michigan Women's Tax Association
- Chicago Tax Club
- InForum, Executive Board Member
- Michigan Warriors Hockey Program
- Michigan, 1993
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly, "Women in the Law," 2015
- Michigan Leading Lawyers, 2020
Counsel to global food service equipment manufacturer for annual tax credits, IRS and State tax representations resulting in more than $40MM in tax benefits, including research tax credit and state job growth and retention tax benefits.Edit
Counsel to global food service and uniform supplier for research tax credit management and IRS representation resulting in more than $20MM in tax refunds and annual tax benefits.Edit
Counsel to global leader in paint finishing systems for tax credit and incentive advisory services resulting in more than $8MM in cash grant and property tax abatements for plant rehabilitation and expansion project.Edit
Counsel to a private real estate development group for syndicated tax credit and economic incentive loan structure, resulting in nearly $9MM of available tax credits and low interest rate financing for new hotel and multi-use commercial development project.Edit
Counsel to a Tier I automotive supplier for corporate relocation and a job growth package resulting in more than $8MM in state tax and economic cash incentives.Edit
Counsel to a global leader in industrial packaging products and services for research tax credit resulting in more than $5MM in additional research tax credits. We also helped secure a $7MM incentive package for a new investment in capital infrastructure and an operational improvement strategic initiative.Edit
Counsel to an autonomous vehicle manufacturer for employment tax and real estate transaction support along with advising and securing a multi-state incentive package resulting in more than $29MM in state and federal incentives related to the growth and investment in new R&D and manufacturing operations as well as retaining and adding new jobs.Edit
- Inforum's 'Meet Her' Podcast Series,"Episode 11: Gina Staudacher, Partner in the Corporate Tax Practice," May 28, 2020, podcast. https://inforummichigan.org/podcasts/
- Howard & Howard/Huron/Rehmann, "Liquidity Management in the Face of COVID-19: What Every Organization Should Know," April 28, 2020, webinar. https://bit.ly/3aKBkE1
- Howard & Howard/FEI, "Treasure Hunt! Find Cash That's Hidden in Plain Sight (Using R&D and Other Tax Credits," April 22, 2020, webinar. https://bit.ly/2S3HcBL
- Howard & Howard/Telemus, "The CARES Act: How to Navigate Labor, Employment, and Tax Decisions," March 31, 2020, webinar. https://info.telemus.com/blog/webinar-the-cares-act
- Howard & Howard/Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce, "Navigating COVID-19 Funding and Relief Provisions," March 26, 2020, webinar. https://youtu.be/CNUNj0Yk70E
- Michigan Downtown Association (MDA) Workshop, "What You Need to Know About Opportunity Zones," March 14, 2019, Lansing, MI.
- CEDAM, "Welcome to the Land of OZ," March 13, 2019, Lansing, MI.
- West Michigan OZ Summit, "Opportunity is Knocking," March 7, 2019, Muskegon, MI.
- The IRS Hearing on Opportunity Zones, "Investing in Qualified Opportunity Funds REG-115420-18," February 14, 2019, Washington, D.C.
- SEMCOG University & MEDC Site Selection Workshop, Site Selector Panel, February 12, 2019, Detroit, MI.
- Howard & Howard, "A-Z on Opportunity Zone Funds," November 1, 2018, Farmington Hills, MI; November 13, 2018, Peoria, IL; November 14, 2018, Chicago, IL.
- Association of Corporate Counsel, Chicago, "You Know What They Say About Death and Taxes," January 22, 2015, Chicago, IL.
- Association of Corporate Counsel, Chicago, "Managing the Relationship with Your International Corporate Parent," January 23, 2014, Chicago, IL.
- Chicago Tax Club, Annual Two-Day Seminar, "International Operations, Development and Expansion: Incentives and Tax Strategies," October 24, 2013, Rosemont, IL.
“I actively support organizations that focus on developing and mentoring women leaders and military veterans.”
I am an executive board member of InForum, an organization that combines professional development, executive networking, and original research to accelerate careers for women to make a positive impact on the business environment.
I am also a member of the prestigious organization, The International Women’s Forum (IWF), which centers on advancing female leadership across careers, cultures, and continents by connecting the world’s most preeminent women of significant and diverse achievement. The IWF brings together an unprecedented global membership to exchange ideas, learn and inspire, and promote better leadership for a changing world.
I further support and mentor the Michigan Warriors Hockey Program (MWHP) nonprofit organization, which was created to provide free educational and developmental hockey programs for disabled veterans as a means to create an active and positive network of resources for both male and female veterans.