Environmental regulations impact nearly every business.
At Howard & Howard, we've assembled attorneys from all disciplines that have the experience, judgment, creativity and vision to shepherd your company through the maze of environmental statutes and rules—from the ground up. We work as a team—for you.
Environmental services include:
- Administrative litigation and appeals
- Due diligence/mergers and acquisitions/real estate/lending transactions
- Environmental auditing and workplace risk management
- Civil penalty, tort, permit compliance and CERCLA litigation defense
- Criminal grand jury representation and defense of environmental crimes
- Air, water and waste permitting and compliance
- Wetlands permitting and compliance
- SNAP (Significant New Alternatives Program) air compliance
- EPCRA (Right to Know) and SARA Title III compliance
- Record retention plan development and reporting requirements
- Brownfields redevelopment
- Environmental management systems
- Mining and coal combustion residuals (CCR) regulations and permitting
Our environmental lawyers can assist clients before a crisis happens, after a civil penalty has been imposed, and at every stage in between. We work closely with environmental consultants and experts in all fields of the practice to maximize efficiency while achieving the best result for our client. While we strive to solve our clients' problems through planning and negotiation, we can and do litigate disputes, when necessary, before administrative tribunals and in the state and federal courts at both the trial level and on appeal. Howard & Howard is widely recognized for its ability to help plan a project's development, timely secure the necessary permits, reduce the likelihood of any environmental litigation, and help facilitate post-development and ongoing compliance and regulatory contacts.
Regardless of the size of your issue—or its complexity—we deliver a high-quality, on-time work product at a lower overall price than other law firms with similar experience that provide comparable environmental services.
We're proud of the broad range of innovative work we've done on behalf of our clients, which includes:
- Successfully defending a Fortune 50 company against a $15 million CERCLA liability claim
- Reducing penalties in an enforcement action under the Clean Air Act by more than $750,000
- Negotiating a multi-site consent decree allowing a Fortune 150 manufacturer to divest itself of numerous excess industrial properties
- Defending a citizen's suit challenge to a state-issued mining permit
- Working to redevelop millions of dollars worth of Brownfield property on behalf of multiple clients
- Defending and litigating a Clean Water Act enforcement action by US EPA in federal court, avoiding substantial penalties for our client
- Challenging EPA rule-making in the federal circuits on behalf of industry coalitions
- Crafting a permit and consent judgment to resolve claims under the Clean Air Act against a major stationary source
- Successfully defending a Fortune 100 company in a 4 year criminal grand jury investigation, resulting in no indictment or liability for the company
How we work for you:
Howard & Howard is one of a few firms in the Midwest with a national environmental practice.
- Howard & Howard's environmental attorneys have more than 150 years of collective experience.
- Our environmental attorneys represent clients ranging in size from large multi-national corporations to mid-size and sole proprietor companies.
- Howard & Howard attorneys monitor developing environmental issues to anticipate changes in the laws and regulations so that our clients are prepared to meet these changes in a cost-effective and timely manner.
- We work with clients to obtain federal, state and local permits for new and existing facilities.
Howard & Howard's environmental attorneys approach every project with the following goals in mind:
- Identify client objectives and alternatives to cost-effectively achieve those objectives.
- Develop innovative and creative solutions to benefit our clients.
- Produce top-quality work.
- Work closely with each client to resolve each objective in a timely, cost-effective manner.
- Help clients achieve their goal to maintain environmental compliance with maximum profitability.