Giving back to the community
The Howard & Howard Community Reinvestment Fund is a charitable trust, funded annually by Howard & Howard employees to benefit the communities in which Howard & Howard offices are located.
Why was it created?
Howard & Howard employees receive many benefits from the communities in which they live and work; we have the desire and responsibility to reinvest in those communities.
How does it work?
- We contribute money. The Fund is based on the concept of sharing. Once a year, employees pledge a fixed percent of their gross compensation.
- The Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan manages the money. Contributions are deposited in the Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan which invests the money, issues receipts and distributes donations upon the request of the Howard & Howard Allocation Committee.
- The Allocation Committee distributes the money. Howard & Howard employees submit written proposals for donations to the Allocation Committee. The Committee meets once each year to consider those proposals and approve donations.
Donation criteria exist to ensure the deductibility of our donations and that our gifts "make a difference" in our communities.
- be given to a 501(c)(3) authorized entity which is also a "public charity";
- not be given to religious or political entities or to the alma maters of our employees;
- be for present use, not for endowments, "bricks and mortar," or other foundations;
- be for an educational or community enrichment purpose; and
- be "Make a Difference" gifts which provide a necessary service, change a life, or enhance a community.
Have We Made a Difference?
Yes, we have made a difference in our communities. Created in 1985, the Howard & Howard Community Reinvestment Fund has contributed over $5 million to support education and community enrichment to date.
The Howard & Howard fund works closely with educational institutions located in our communities to provide scholarships for students who need or merit assistance. Howard & Howard has provided scholarships or grants connected with several institutions as shown on our recipients list below.
Howard & Howard employees have also invested in recreational and cultural activities in their communities. They regularly support children's concerts by local symphony societies, music and art lessons through arts councils and centers, bilingual programs and recreational activities through local public schools and youth programs.
Public Service and Community Involvement
Howard & Howard employees don't simply write checks to discharge community responsibilities. They give time, energy and skill to organizations which contribute to their communities. Howard & Howard employees are active in a broad array of community organizations.
Can we do more?
We can contribute more money.
We set our annual goals based on Howard & Howard employee compensation so that the Fund grows as Howard & Howard grows.
We can contribute more time.
We continue to extend our culture of service to our communities by continuing to serve organizations we have historically served, seeking new and innovative approaches to solving community problems and introducing our colleagues to institutions which may need their volunteer services.
Below are the organizations, educational institutions and agencies to which Howard & Howard employees have contributed: