Today's financial services are offered in many shapes and forms and by a variety of institutions, including banks, thrifts, insurance companies and securities firms.
At Howard & Howard, we've assembled experienced attorneys from all legal disciplines who have the sound judgment, creativity and vision to shepherd your projects from concept to completion. We work as a team—and win for you.
Our services to financial institutions include:
- Mergers and acquisitions, including cross-industry transactions
- Capital planning
- Public and private securities offerings
- Regulatory assistance; including enforcement actions
- Strategic restructuring
- Workout, lender and environmental liability
- S corporation transactions
- "Going Private" or "Going Dark" transactions
- Executive compensation and employee benefit planning
- Contract and vendor negotiations and disputes
- Formation of banks, thrifts, and holding companies
- Charter conversions
- Labor and employment
- Loan documentation
- Trust and investment advisory matters
- Intellectual property
- Mutual-to-stock conversions
- Mutual holding company formations
Major regional banks and credit unions aren't too big for Howard & Howard's financial institutions attorneys, and community banks and credit unions aren't too small.
Regardless of the size of your transaction—or the complexity of the issues—we deliver high-quality, on-time work at a lower price than most law firms providing comparable services to financial institutions.
We're proud of the broad range of work we've done on behalf of our clients:
- Completed M&A transactions involving hundreds of financial institutions
- Completed "first ever" cross industry bank/credit union M&A transaction
- Represented financial services clients in dozens of public and private securities offerings, including trust preferred securities
- Assisted financial institutions in dozens of shareholder reduction transactions designed to permit the client to qualify for S corporation status or to "go private"
- Formed one of the nation’s first multi-bank holding companies in the early 1970s
- Established one of the first securities brokerage services operated by a bank
- Helped a client acquire one of the first bank-owned insurance agencies in the Midwest
- Managed the consolidation of financial institutions across multiple states to achieve substantial tax savings
- Assisted thrifts in converting from mutual to stock form and forming mutual holding companies
- Established domestic and off-shore investment, mortgage and other operating subsidiaries to achieve tax savings
How we work for you:
- Howard & Howard's financial services group currently has in excess of 175 institutions as clients.
- Howard & Howard is a leader in helping financial institutions expand into non-traditional service areas.
- Howard & Howard is one of a few firms to offer a full range of federal and state compliance services to clients.
- Our financial services and banking attorneys regularly represent the organizers and initial boards of directors in the formation of new depository institutions and state chartered savings banks.
- Howard & Howard has more than 40 attorneys with a wide range of financial consulting and banking law skills devoted to our financial services clients.
- Our financial services and banking attorneys handle clients ranging from small community banks and/or credit unions to major regional banks and/or credit unions.
- Our financial services and banking lawyers have participated in insurance company reorganizations, recapitalizations and restructuring, including subscription rights demutualizations and initial public offerings.
Howard & Howard's financial services and banking attorneys approach every project with the following goals in mind:
- Facilitate client objectives
- Find creative solutions
- Produce timely, top quality work
- Help clients achieve their next level of success with maximum profitability