“I am a trial attorney. I prosecute and defend business disputes.”
Stephen Dunn has significant business litigation experience, including business ownership oppression litigation, employment litigation, sales representative commission disputes, and supplier-focused automotive litigation. Mr. Dunn also serves as outside general counsel to numerous businesses and business owners and advises corporate executives and boards on a wide variety of matters.
Mr. Dunn is a commissioned officer in the United States Army Reserve JAG Corps, where he has served as a prosecutor and military magistrate for extended periods on active duty in the U.S. and abroad. He served as an assistant prosecuting attorney for the Oakland County Prosecutor's Office prior to joining Howard & Howard. As a civilian and military prosecutor, Mr. Dunn was lead trial counsel on dozens of jury and bench trials, attaining many convictions.
- Wayne State University Law School, 2005
- LeMoyne College, 2002
- B.A., magna cum laude
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Association of the United States Army
- Boys and Girls Club of South Oakland County
- Board of Trustees
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Michigan, 2005
- Illinois, 2011
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri, 2017
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia, 2017
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota, 2017
- U.S. District Court, District of Nevada, 2017
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana, 2016
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit, 2015
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts, 2013
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2012
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 2012
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 2012
- U.S. District Court, District of Wyoming, 2012
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 2010
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, 2009
- U.S. Army Trial Judiciary, Second Judicial Circuit, 2008
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2007
- Michigan Super Lawyers, "Rising Stars," 2009-2019
- dbusiness, "Top Lawyers," 2013-2014; 2017
- Crain's Detroit Business, "40 Under 40," 2014
- Brooks Patterson's Oakland County Elite, "40 Under 40," 2013
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly, "Up & Coming Lawyers," 2010
- "Fraud, Forbearance and Bankruptcy: Proving Fraud and Obtaining a Judgment of Non-Dischargeability in Bankruptcy Court Based on Forbearance Alone." Michigan Banker Magazine, Vol. 22, No. 7, July 2010.
- "SBM Attorney on Active Duty In The Army." Michigan Bar Journal, August 2008.
- "Corporate Takeover Legislation and the Myth of Shareholder Ownership." Michigan Defense Quarterly, Volume 21, No. 1, July 2004.
Successfully obtained a $1.6MM judgment for a financial services provider client on its breach of contract counterclaim after two years of litigation in Ohio state court against a publicly traded plaintiff company that had initiated the lawsuit. The plaintiff was seeking to collect the remaining $1MM it claimed was due on a $20MM stock purchase agreement. The plaintiff received nothing on its claim, and our client obtained $1.6MM on its counterclaim.Edit
Obtained $2.614MM in post-termination payments for a commissioned sales representative client who was terminated by his employer, who was an automotive components supplier.Edit
Obtained $1.7MM and $1.2MM for two different individual shareholder clients, both of whom had been frozen out by the majority shareholders of their respective companies.Edit
Served as trial counsel on behalf of a Tier I automotive supplier in a five-week federal court jury trial that resulted in a jury verdict of over $2MM net in favor of our client on its breach of contract counterclaim.Edit