“I am a bankruptcy attorney who has represented nearly every constituency in bankruptcy courts around the country.”
Since early in her career, Lisa has represented nearly every constituency in bankruptcy courts locally and around the country, including business debtors, trustees, and unsecured creditors committees. She has litigated many of the issues that arise in bankruptcy cases, and has extensive experience representing plaintiffs and defendants in preferential transfer litigation, fraudulent transfer litigation, non-dischargeability actions, and requests for injunctive relief. She also has experience with real estate litigation in bankruptcy courts and state courts.
Since 2003, Lisa has focused her practice on representing all types of creditors including secured creditors, unsecured creditors, landlords, licensors of intellectual property, customers, and suppliers.
Because of her extensive bankruptcy experience, Lisa is a trusted advisor to businesses whose customers or suppliers are experiencing financial distress.
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, 1978
- J.D., cum laude
- Frank Murphy Honor Society, Order of the Barrister, 1978
- University of Michigan, 1976
- B.A., with honors
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Vice President-Publications
- Executive Committee, Member
- Publications Committee, Chair, 2018-present
- Nominating Committee, Member, 2015-2016
- ABI Journal, Executive Editor, 2014-2018
- Board of Directors, Member, 2014-present
- Unsecured Trade Creditors Committee, Co-chair, 2013-2015
- "Last in Line" Column, Coordinating Editor, 2010-2014
- Shapero Cup Regional Moot Court Competition
- Planning Committee, Member
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for Eastern District of Michigan
- Mediation Panel, 2016-present
- Institute of Continuing Legal Education
- Business Law Advisory Board, Member, 2003-2018
- Real Property Law Advisory Board, Member, 2000-2003
- Wayne State University Law School
- Bankruptcy and Creditors’ Rights Law, Adjunct Professor, 2001-2003
- State Bar of Michigan
- Real Property Law Section
- Section and Council, Secretary, 2001-2002
- Section Council, Member, 1996-2002
- Bankruptcy/Creditors' Rights Committee, Chair, 1993-1997
- Real Property Law Section
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Federal Courts and Bankruptcy Committee, Co-chair, 2001-2002
- Creditors' Rights Committee, Member, 1998-2002
- Oakland County Bar Foundation, Fellow, 2013-present
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- Advisory Committee
- Member/Delegate from Michigan Real Property Law Section, 1999-2003
- Member/Delegate from Oakland County Bar Association, 1994-1998
- Local Rules Subcommittee, Chair, 1995-1997
- Michigan, 1979
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, 1986
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 1979
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 1979
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 2012-2019
- Michigan Leading Lawyers, 2014-2019
- dbusiness, "Top Lawyers," 2010-2014; 2016-2019
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly, "Women in the Law," 2011
- Michigan Super Lawyers, 2006-2018
- Top 50 Michigan Women Lawyers, 2008-2014; 2018
- Top 100 Michigan Lawyers, 2012-2014
- Top 25 Michigan Women Business Lawyers, 2013-2014
- Top 50 Michigan Business Lawyers, 2013
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating
- Represented numerous preference defendants in bankruptcy courts locally and around the country, involving complex issues and/or large amounts.
- Represented customers and suppliers of troubled companies.
- Represented a large steel manufacturer whose employee filed bankruptcy for himself and his two single-member LLCs after he received millions in exchange for steering energy contracts to a company that sought to do business with his employer.
- Represented an international manufacturer of gaming machines (and licensor of intellectual property associated therewith) in casino bankruptcy cases throughout the country.
- Represented a cargo-handling service provider to domestic and international airlines that filed bankruptcy (Chapter 11 or Chapter 15) in the United States.
Represented a national bank in a wide variety of matters including a successful motion for appointment of a Chapter 11 Trustee over a marina, successful motions for appointment of receivers for various real property developments, and successful defense of a fraud claim in connection with a settlement placed on the record in state court.
- Represented an equipment lessor and finance company in various matters involving recovery of an aircraft.
- Represented a Chapter 7 trustee in recovering a seven-figure fraudulent transfer from a large national company.
- Represented the former wife of a debtor in a case that involved several parcels of real estate and forgery issues.
- Represented a franchisor in connection with a terminated franchisee's bankruptcy and the debtor's attempt to continue using the franchisor's trademarks, trade names, and service marks.
- Represented a litigation trustee who pursued more than 600 preferential transfer cases in a large bankruptcy in western Michigan.
- American Bankruptcy Institute Winter Leadership Conference, "You Be the Judge: A Consumer Mock Trial Under 523(a)(6)," December 7, 2018, Phoenix, AZ.
- Institute of Continuing Legal Education Business Boot Camp, "What Every Lawyer Needs to Know About Secured Transactions," 2018; 2017; 2015; 2014; 2012; and 2011, Grand Rapids, MI; Plymouth, MI.
- American Bankruptcy Institute Veteran's Day Conference on Consumer Bankruptcy, "Evidence and Trial Skills in Consumer Bankruptcy Cases," November, 2017, Troy, MI.
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Institute of Continuing Legal Education, and Michigan Poverty Law Center, "The Impact of Bankruptcy on Divorce," 2016, Lake Geneva, WI; 2015, Ann Arbor, MI; 2014, Novi, MI; 2013, Washington, D.C.; 2012, Traverse City, MI; 2011, Detroit, MI; and 2008, Plymouth, MI.
- American Bankruptcy Institute, 33rd Annual Spring Meeting, "Business Case Law Update," April 17, 2015, Washington D.C.
- Institute of Continuing Legal Education, "Receivership Rules Change," May 20, 2014, Ann Arbor, MI.
- Michigan Judicial Institute, "Bankruptcy's Automatic Stay and Exceptions to It," October 25, 2013, Detroit, MI.
- Institute of Continuing Legal Education, "Using Receiverships in Commercial Real Estate," September 25, 2013, Ann Arbor, MI.
- Practicing Law Institute, "Impact of Bankruptcy on IP Licenses," April, 2013; April, 2012, Chicago, IL.
- Upper Michigan Legal Institute, "Dealing with Troubled Customers and Suppliers," June 10, 2011, Mackinac Island, MI.
- State Bar of Michigan, Intellectual Property Law Section, "Impact of Bankruptcy on Intellectual Property," March 22, 2010, East Lansing, MI.
- Advanced Negotiation & Dispute Resolution Institute, "Negotiating in the Shadow of Bankruptcy," March 18, 2010, Plymouth, MI.
- Institute of Continuing Legal Education, "Practice Strategies for a Down Economy: What Every Business Lawyer Should Know About Preference Actions," August 18, 2009, Ann Arbor, MI.
- American Bankruptcy Institute—Unsecured Trade Creditors' Committee Educational Session, "Reclamation and 503(b)(9) in the Aftermath of the Sixth Circuit's Decision in Phar Mor v. McKesson," April, 2009, Washington, D.C.
- Family and Closely Held Business Institute, "Anatomy of a Forbearance Agreement," October 16, 2008, Plymouth, MI.
“I support the Michigan Autism Partnership and the PLAY Project, which is an innovative therapy for children with autism.”
I also support Affirmations and Detroit's LGBTQ community. In April, 2013, I was awarded the Lorna Utley Outstanding Ally Award from Affirmations.