“My team employs a sense of ownership in each deal, for every client, and treats it as our most important transaction.”
Joseph is the chairman of our Business and Corporate Group. He concentrates his practice in business financial transactions and real estate matters, including mergers, acquisitions, and reorganizations of business entities; complex commercial and real estate lending and restructuring transactions; international business transactions; real estate sale and leasing transactions; securities law and private placements; and healthcare-related corporate matters.
Joseph formerly served as assistant general counsel responsible for mergers and acquisitions for ThyssenKrupp in North America, and has also served as interim general counsel for corporate clients in the automotive, technology, and service industries, and in such capacity has advised members of management on all aspects of corporate, financial, and real estate transactions (both domestic and international), as well as securities issues.
His extensive experience includes negotiation and consummation of mergers and acquisitions, reorganizations, combinations, and joint ventures, including certified Minority Business Enterprises, negotiation and drafting licensing, e-commerce and other intellectual property agreements, negotiation and drafting of real estate purchase and leasing agreements, and various aspects of securities transactions and regulatory compliance. Joseph's former firms include Dinsmore & Shohl (Cincinnati) and Butzel Long (Bloomfield Hills).
Joseph is the former assistant editor of the Michigan International Lawyer, and has authored various articles for the Michigan Business Law Journal. He is a frequent lecturer at ICLE and industry group seminars on various topics, such as mergers and acquisitions, corporate, and real estate financing related matters.
- Wayne State University Law School
- LL.M., 2005
- J.D., cum laude, 1995
- Michigan State University, James Madison College, 1992
- Association for Corporate Growth
- Financial Executives International
- State Bar of Michigan
- Business Law Section
- American Bar Association
- Negotiated Transactions and Health Law Committees
- Michigan, 1996
- Illinois, 1996
- Ohio, 1995 (Inactive)
- U.S. Court of International Trade, 1995
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 2013-2019
- M&A Advisor's International M&A Awards, "Professional Services (B-to-B) Deal of the Year Advisors Award," 2018
- Michigan Leading Lawyers, 2014-2019
- dbusiness, "Top Lawyers," 2011-2014; 2016-2019
- Michigan Super Lawyers, 2011-2018
- Top 100 Michigan Lawyers, 2013
- Top 50 Michigan Business Lawyers, 2013
- Crain's Detroit Business, "Deal Maker of the Year (Advisor Category)," 2014
- Finance Monthly, "Deal Maker of the Year," 2013
- Michigan Super Lawyers, "Rising Stars," 2008-2010
- Represented Gnutti Carlo, a U.S. subsidiary of Gnutti Carlo S.p.a. of Milan, Italy in its acquisition of MS Industries USA subsidiaries’ heavy truck and bus engine component business in the U.S.
- Represented Aon Risk Services in multiple strategic acquisitions and divestitures.
- Represented Cambridge Consulting Group, LLC in its sale to NFP, a leading insurance broker and consultant based in New York City.
- Represented Esys Automation, a full-service automation solutions provider to the automotive industry in its sale to JR Automation, a portfolio company of Crestmark Partners, a private equity firm.
- Represented CEC Controls Company in its sale to a publicly traded multinational corporation based in the United Kingdom.
- Represented Blue Wing Capital Partners in its acquisition of Southern Soil Turf Management Company.
Represented Continental Cafe, LLC, a Troy, Michigan based food services supplier, in its recapitalization and investment transaction with New Heritage Capital Partners.
- Represented General Hydroponics in its sale to Scotts Miracle-Gro Company.
- Represented Paslin Company in the sale of its controlling interest to Tower Three Partners.
- Represented ThyssenKrupp in the sale of its ownership interest in TWB Company, LLC to Wuhan Iron and Steel (WISCO).
- Represented Mag Americas in the sale of its aerospace business to fives, a French private equity firm.
- Represented Plasan Carbon Composites in a direct investment by Toray Corporation.
- Strategic Alliance between software/firmware provider from Europe and Continental (former VDO Siemens) for telematics control devices for heavy truck and bus OEMs.
- Strategic Alliance between Delphi Automotive and technology company for on board diagnostic communication system via bluetooth for automotive OEM and aftermarket.
- Strategic Alliance between TRW Vehicle Safety Systems and Tier I interiors supplier for airbag modules in instrument panels.
- Business Owners Breakfast Series, Panel Discussion, "Business Transaction Update," May 13, 2014, Birmingham, MI.
- Association of Corporate Counsel, Chicago Chapter, "Managing the Relationship with Your International Corporate Parent," January 23, 2014, Chicago, IL.
Joseph supports several charities, including Angels of Hope, Parade Company, St. Baldrick's Foundation, and UHY Cares.
Joseph also supports Yatooma's Foundation For The Kids.