“I advise my clients on mergers, acquisitions, strategic transactions, financial institution regulation, and compliance.”
Joe advises financial institutions and corporate clients on general corporate matters, mergers, acquisitions, strategic transactions, private equity and venture capital investments, and banking and financial services regulation. This includes state and federal regulation with respect to licensing, retail banking, consumer credit, cannabis, anti-money laundering and OFAC compliance, payments, vendor management, money transmission, blockchain, and digital currencies.
Joe advises clients and writes and speaks to industry groups on topics related to the corporate activities and supervision of financial institutions, including:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Private equity and venture capital
- Bank Secrecy Act and anti-money laundering requirements
- Regulatory applications and approvals
- Control determinations under the Bank Holding Company Act
- Affiliate transactions
- Vendor management
Prior to joining Howard & Howard, Joe practiced in the Chicago offices of other large law firms. He previously served as counsel to the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, where he focused on bank, bank holding company, and savings and loan holding company supervision and regulation, as well as consumer finance and compliance matters.
Earlier in his career, Joe advised mortgage companies and other financial institutions on an array of regulatory and corporate matters. He gained substantial experience with consumer finance regulatory and transactional matters, including the alphabet soup of mortgage and consumer finance statutes and regulations. Joe was also a senior public policy specialist with the Mortgage Bankers Association.
Joe is an adjunct professor at Chicago-Kent College of Law where he teaches a Consumer Banking Law course.
- The George Washington University Law School, 2010
- LL.M., International and Comparative Law
- Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago-Kent College of Law, 2007
- LL.M., Financial Services Law
- Miami University, 2004
- B.A., History
- Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago-Kent College of Law
- Institute for Compliance, Advisory Board Member
- American Bar Association
- Business Law Section
- Banking Law Committee
- Regional and Community Banks Subcommittee, former Chair
- Enforcement, Insider Liability, and Troubled Banks Subcommittee, Vice Chair
- Mergers and Acquisitions Committee
- Consumer Financial Services Committee
- Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago
- Working Group on Financial Markets
- Banking Editorial Advisory, Board Member, 2016
- Illinois, 2011
- Virginia, 2007 (Inactive)
Counseled community bank clients on expansion of products and services, including outlining regulatory expectations and guidance related to offering new products and services.Edit
Represented large regional and community bank clients in applications for approval of mergers and acquisitions of bank and non-bank entities.Edit
Review and drafting of policies and procedures for community bank client regarding anti-money laundering compliance.Edit
Negotiation and review of critical vendor agreements, including core processing agreements.Edit
Advised bank and bank holding company clients on corporate governance requirements and regulatory expectations for new directors and senior executive officers.Edit
Assisted non-bank client with licensing requirements and approvals for state money transmitter license and registration as a money services business with the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (“FinCEN”).Edit
Represented bank and non-bank clients in applications for branch purchases from other financial institutions.Edit
Assisted non-bank client with virtual currency business application requirements.Edit
Represented community bank requesting regulatory approval to pay dividends.Edit
Counseled bank client on responding to inquiry from FinCEN related to customer relationships.Edit
Counseled community bank client in potential relationships with high-risk businesses, including cannabis-related businesses and money services businesses.Edit
Advised community bank client on regulatory capital requirements for subordinated debt offering in order to qualify proceeds as Tier 2 Capital.Edit
Advised community bank client regarding applications and process for opening new physical branch locations.Edit
Reviewed and advised community bank client regarding online account agreements.Edit
Advised bank clients on treasury management and cash management services and the relevant service level agreements with business customers, including for ACH, positive pay, lockbox and other cash management services for business customers.Edit
Represented bank clients in Change in Control Applications to state and federal bank regulatory agencies.Edit
Represented community bank clients before state and federal banking agencies related to various examination and enforcement matters.Edit
- Chicago Bar Association, "Updates on the Modernization of CRA," June 12, 2019, Chicago, IL.
- Chicagoland Compliance Association, "BSA/AML/OFAC Program Fundamentals to Keep You Out of an Enforcement Action," April 5, 2019, Chicago, IL.
- American Bar Association, "Salvation or Curse: The Impact of Innovation on Community Banking," March 28, 2019, Vancouver, BC.
- University of North Carolina Banking Institute, "Hot Topics: BSA/AML Compliance," March 22, 2019, Charlotte, NC.
- American Bar Association, "Careers in Banking Law," January 10, 2019, Washington, D.C.
- Mortgage Bankers Association, "BSA/AML Compliance for Banks and Mortgage Companies," September 16, 2018, Washington, D.C.
- American Bar Association, "Cybersecurity for Community Banks–Third Party Relationships," September 13, 2018, Austin, TX.
- U.S./E.U. Cybersecurity Summit, "Overview of Cybersecurity and Anti-Money Laundering in the U.S.," May 3, 2018, Chicago, IL.
- American Bar Association, "Don’t Hate, Collaborate (with Fintech)," April 12, 2018, Orlando, FL.
- Illinois Bankers Association, "Vendor Management Action Plan," March 2, 2018, East Peoria, IL.
- Chicago Bar Association, "Growing Cybersecurity Risks and Expectations," February 14, 2018, Chicago, IL.
- American Bar Association, "Technology, Innovation and the Community Reinvestment Act," September 14, 2017, Chicago, IL.
- Illinois Bankers Association, "Fintech–Friend of Foe," June 23, 2017, Nashville, TN.
- American Bar Association, "CRA for Community Banks," April 6, 2017, New Orleans, LA.
- The Law Project, "The Art of Making a Deal," January 11, 2017, Chicago, IL.
- Chicago Bar Association, "Governance Regulators Expect," November 9, 2016, Chicago, IL.
- American Bar Association, "The 5th Pillar–Customer Due Diligence after FinCEN’s New Rule," September 8, 2016, Boston, MA.
- Financial Managers Society, "Regulatory Update," October 19, 2017, Oak Brook, IL.
- Chicagoland Compliance Association, "Where’s the Incentive: Changes to Incentive Compensation and Sales Practices," October 5, 2017, Oak Brook, IL.
- Illinois Bankers Association, "Building a Compliance Culture from the Teller Window to the Boardroom," October 21, 2016, Fairview Heights, IL.
- American Bar Association, "BSA/AML Compliance Challenges for Community Banks–New Rules and Threats," September 8, 2016, Boston, MA.
- Chicago-Kent College of Law Alumni CLE Program, "Hot Issues: Compliance in Financial Institutions," May 18, 2016, Chicago, IL.
- Mortgage Bankers Association, "LO Comp, Ability to Repay and HOEPA Rules," May 1, 2016, Denver, CO.
- Chicago Bar Association, "BSA/AML Regulatory Developments," April 13, 2016, Chicago, IL.
- American Bar Association, "Checking in on Cybersecurity, BSA and State Law Developments Affecting Community Banks," September 19, 2015, Chicago, IL.
- American Bar Association, "Regulatory Hot Topics: BSA/AML Compliance for Community Banks," April 17, 2015, San Francisco, CA.
- Mortgage Bankers Association, "TILA-RESPA Integrated Disclosures (TRID)," September 20, 2015, Washington, D.C.
- Mortgage Bankers Association, "Essentials of QM and LO Comp," May 3, 2015, Chicago, IL.
- Chicago Bar Association, "Hot Topics in Bank M&A and Capital Raising," October 8, 2014, Chicago, IL.