“I advise my clients on mergers, acquisitions, strategic transactions, financial institution regulation, and compliance.”
Joe advises financial institutions and corporate clients on general corporate matters, mergers, acquisitions, strategic transactions, private equity and venture capital, and banking and financial services regulation. This includes state and federal regulation with respect to licensing, retail banking, consumer credit, online lending, anti-money laundering and OFAC compliance, payments, vendor management, money transmission, blockchain, and digital currencies.
Joe advises clients and writes and speaks to industry groups on topics related to the corporate activities and supervision of financial institutions, including:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Private equity and venture capital
- Bank Secrecy Act and anti-money laundering requirements
- Regulatory applications and approvals
- Control determinations under the Bank Holding Company Act
- Affiliate transactions
- Vendor management
Prior to joining Howard & Howard, Joe practiced in the Chicago offices of other large law firms. He previously served as counsel to the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, where he focused on bank, bank holding company, and savings and loan holding company supervision and regulation, as well as consumer finance and compliance matters.
Earlier in his career, Joe advised mortgage companies and other financial institutions on an array of regulatory and corporate matters. He gained substantial experience with consumer finance regulatory and transactional matters, including the alphabet soup of mortgage and consumer finance statutes and regulations. Joe was also a senior public policy specialist with the Mortgage Bankers Association.
- The George Washington University Law School, 2010
- LL.M., International and Comparative Law
- Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago-Kent College of Law, 2007
- LL.M., Financial Services Law
- Miami University, 2004
- B.A., History
- Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago-Kent College of Law
- Institute for Compliance, Advisory Board Member
- American Bar Association
- Business Law Section
- Banking Law Committee, Chair
- Community Banks and Mutual Savings Associations Subcommittee
- Mergers and Acquisitions and Consumer Financial Services Committees
- Chicago Bar Association
- Financial Institutions Committee
- Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago
- Working Group on Financial Markets
- Banking Editorial Advisory, Board Member
- Illinois, 2011
- Virginia, 2007 (Inactive)
- Chicago Bar Association, "Updates on the Modernization of CRA," June 12, 2019, Chicago, IL.
- Chicagoland Compliance Association, "BSA/AML/OFAC Program Fundamentals to Keep You Out of an Enforcement Action," April 5, 2019, Chicago, IL.
- American Bar Association, "Salvation or Curse: The Impact of Innovation on Community Banking," March 28, 2019, Vancouver, BC.
- University of North Carolina Banking Institute, "Hot Topics: BSA/AML Compliance," March 22, 2019, Charlotte, NC.
- American Bar Association, "Careers in Banking Law," January 10, 2019, Washington, D.C.
- Mortgage Bankers Association, "BSA/AML Compliance for Banks and Mortgage Companies," September 16, 2018, Washington, D.C.
- American Bar Association, "Cybersecurity for Community Banks–Third Party Relationships," September 13, 2018, Austin, TX.
- U.S./E.U. Cybersecurity Summit, "Overview of Cybersecurity and Anti-Money Laundering in the U.S.," May 3, 2018, Chicago, IL.
- American Bar Association, "Don’t Hate, Collaborate (with Fintech)," April 12, 2018, Orlando, FL.
- Illinois Bankers Association, "Vendor Management Action Plan," March 2, 2018, East Peoria, IL.
- Chicago Bar Association, "Growing Cybersecurity Risks and Expectations," February 14, 2018, Chicago, IL.
- American Bar Association, "Technology, Innovation and the Community Reinvestment Act," September 14, 2017, Chicago, IL.
- Illinois Bankers Association, "Fintech–Friend of Foe," June 23, 2017, Nashville, TN.
- American Bar Association, "CRA for Community Banks," April 6, 2017, New Orleans, LA.
- The Law Project, "The Art of Making a Deal," January 11, 2017, Chicago, IL.
- Chicago Bar Association, "Governance Regulators Expect," November 9, 2016, Chicago, IL.
- American Bar Association, "The 5th Pillar–Customer Due Diligence after FinCEN’s New Rule," September 8, 2016, Boston, MA.
- Financial Managers Society, "Regulatory Update," October 19, 2017, Oak Brook, IL.
- Chicagoland Compliance Association, "Where’s the Incentive: Changes to Incentive Compensation and Sales Practices," October 5, 2017, Oak Brook, IL.
- Illinois Bankers Association, "Building a Compliance Culture from the Teller Window to the Boardroom," October 21, 2016, Fairview Heights, IL.
- American Bar Association, "BSA/AML Compliance Challenges for Community Banks–New Rules and Threats," September 8, 2016, Boston, MA.
- Chicago-Kent College of Law Alumni CLE Program, "Hot Issues: Compliance in Financial Institutions," May 18, 2016, Chicago, IL.
- Mortgage Bankers Association, "LO Comp, Ability to Repay and HOEPA Rules," May 1, 2016, Denver, CO.
- Chicago Bar Association, "BSA/AML Regulatory Developments," April 13, 2016, Chicago, IL.
- American Bar Association, "Checking in on Cybersecurity, BSA and State Law Developments Affecting Community Banks," September 19, 2015, Chicago, IL.
- American Bar Association, "Regulatory Hot Topics: BSA/AML Compliance for Community Banks," April 17, 2015, San Francisco, CA.
- Mortgage Bankers Association, "TILA-RESPA Integrated Disclosures (TRID)," September 20, 2015, Washington, D.C.
- Mortgage Bankers Association, "Essentials of QM and LO Comp," May 3, 2015, Chicago, IL.
- Chicago Bar Association, "Hot Topics in Bank M&A and Capital Raising," October 8, 2014, Chicago, IL.