“I help employers solve their human resources problems and issues. I also defend employers in federal and state courts.”
Mr. Rayle counsels employer clients on a day-to-day basis, helping anticipate and resolve a myriad of workplace legal issues, including discrimination, harassment, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, discipline, overtime, employee manuals and handbooks, employment agreements, rightsizing, workforce reorganizations and reductions, and directing/conducting internal investigations.
As a labor and employment law litigator, he has successfully and cost-effectively defended employers across the country in arbitrations and proceedings before the NLRB, the EEOC, various state administrative agencies, and in federal and state courts on a variety of issues.
Mr. Rayle also acts as a "neutral" in various lawsuits and arbitrations. He has been a general civil mediator certified by the state of Michigan for over 15 years and is a member of the AAA Panel of Employment Arbitrators. He is on the Michigan Employment Relations Commission's Panel of labor arbitrators.
- Wayne State University Law School
- J.D., cum laude
- Law Review, Member
- Michigan State University, 1975
- B.A., with high honors, Economics
- Oakland County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Litigation, Labor and Employment, and Alternate Dispute Resolution Law Sections
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities Subcommittee
- State Bar of Michigan
- Labor Law and Alternate Dispute Resolution Law Sections
- Michigan, 1978
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit, 2008
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 1997
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 1978
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, 1978
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 2015-2019
- Michigan Super Lawyers, 2010-2019
- Employment Litigation-Defense
- Michigan Leading Lawyers, 2015-2019
- dbusiness, "Top Lawyers," 2010-2011; 2013-2014; 2016-2019
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating
- State of Michigan, MERC Panel of Arbitrators, Certified Mediator
Assisted a multimillion-dollar technology company with "right-sizing" by working with human resources managers and providing legal counsel on selection processes, severance issues, planning messaging, and related issues to successfully allow the combination and reorganization of the company's, and a recently acquired company's, separate workforces, which were located in over 20 states.
Representation of a Tier I automotive supplier where we obtained dismissal of two plant-wide grievances for a year of past overtime wages, saving the company over $500,000 in potential back pay, and more in future overtime had the grievances been sustained by the arbitrators. To achieve the result, we successfully persuaded the arbitrators that the company's years of erroneous past practices in paying overtime was not binding.
- Represented a Fortune 500 company regarding numerous EEOC charges, all of which were either outright dismissed or settled for nuisance value.
- Mediated a four-year-old litigation matter by assisting the parties in reaching a resolution of the issues that had kept them from settling in two previous mediation attempts.
Represented a major financial institution where we obtained dismissal of a complicated sexual harassment claim. The dismissal was obtained immediately after the plaintiff's deposition was taken and damaging admissions were made by her as to her claims.