“The lawyer of choice for clients' most challenging issues, most significant transactions, and most critical disputes.”
John advises on significant transactions, complex financings, critical disputes, and daily operational issues. His clients include entrepreneurs, emerging growth businesses, international investment firms, and public companies who often operate in highly regulated industries, such as aerospace and defense, beverage alcohol, energy, finance, and healthcare. John regularly advises companies on acquisitions, equity/debt financings, joint ventures, licenses, and cross-border matters. He advises foreign companies doing business in the U.S., as well as U.S. companies doing business abroad. John invests the time to understand his client’s objectives, key industry trends, and economic factors that affect those objectives, designing business solutions in legal terms to achieve the intended result. He is a skilled negotiator who recognizes both sides of any given legal position and knows the workarounds likely to lead to an agreement, but also knows how to prevail absent a mutually agreed outcome.
- University of Michigan Law School, 1995
- Alma College, 1995
- Cranbrook Kingswood
- Alumni Association
- Alma College
- President's Advisory Council
- University of Michigan Alumni Association, Lifetime Member
- Ronald McDonald House Charities of Southern California
- Long Beach House, Founding Board Member
- Los Angeles Economic Development Corporation
- State Bar of California
- Business Law Section
- Opinions Committee
- American Bar Association
- Society of Corporate Secretaries and Governance Professionals
- Smaller Public Companies Task Force
- California, 2000
- Illinois, 1998
- Ohio, 1996
- Formation and ongoing representation of Samson & Surrey Holdings Luxembourg, S.à.r.l., an artisanal spirits producer, including acquisitions of Few Spirits, Blue Coat Gin, Brenne Whisky, Widow Jane Whiskey, and Mezcal Vago. Representation also included debt and equity investments and general legal matters.
- Represent leading retailer of appliances and tools, as well as lawn and garden, fitness, and automotive repair equipment in connection with real estate related joint ventures.
- Represent leading provider of commercial, architectural, residential, and vehicle appearance and protection services in connection with international expansion and general legal matters.
- Represented BAMKO, Inc., in its sale to Superior Uniform Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: SGC).
- Represented bankruptcy trustee in sale of assets of Penthouse Global Media, Inc. to WCGZ Ltd. of the Czech Republic, including worldwide licensing of intellectual property.
- Represented Sole Technology Inc. (Altamont, etnies, thirtytwo, and Emerica brands) in connection with growth capital investment by First Capital and Karlin.
- Board of Directors Center of Excellence, "Data Science in the Boardroom," May 15, 2018, San Francisco, CA.
- Board of Directors Center of Excellence, LA Summit, "Diversity in the Boardroom," November 30, 2017, Beverly Hills, CA.
- Loyola Law School, Business Law Society Symposium, panelist, September 15, 2016, Chicago, IL.
- Polsinelli PC, M&A Litigation Series, "Mitigating Litigation Risk at the Deal Table, Part 1," October 15, 2015, webinar.
- Expert Webcast, "Business Succession Planning and Exit Strategies for the Closely Held and Family Owned Business," October 30, 2013, webinar.
- ACG Conference, "Constructing a Great Deal: How to Get the Most Out of Your M&A Transactions," April 15, 2012, San Diego, CA.
- National Small Business Conference, "Impact of Mergers and Acquisitions on Small Businesses," June 8, 2011, San Diego, CA.